Wednesday, May 7, 2014

This Week's Overheards

This week I overheard two of my fellow Vancouverites, and their guest, talking about my transit ads on their local podcast channel.

For those of you not familiar with the podcast medium, podcasting is the act of creating lengthy audio files for 'at your convenience listening.' Podcasters sit in tiny rooms and record their conversations. They talk about cereal, wrestling, references from the 90s and Tinder (obsessively).

The specific podcast that referenced my work, was the locally recorded, "Stop Podcasting Yourself;" An appropriately named, but unheeded title. The show is hosted by Graham Clark, a local comic and all-around funny-man, and Dave Shumka, of CBC radio. Each week they have a guest on, who graciously joins them for just over an hour of audio.

Now, about two years ago, Dave and Graham were hosting an episode, sans guest. They came to the point in their podcast where they have a thrilling 'bit' on overheard or overread conversations. On this episode, number 230 (that's a lot of nights of sitting in the basement), Graham read an overread from a young lady in Ottawa who commented on a real estate ad she read on a bus bench. The connection of real estate and transit immediately triggers Dave's memory, as he quickly recalls one of my popular transit marketing campaigns, "Anthea in Transit." Dave explains the ad to the listeners, including a description of the source material, "Poetry in Transit." They make a few jokes about my last name, but all in all, a pretty good plug for my business. Thanks boys.

Fast forward to April of this year, when I receive a phone call from a friend. She tells me that the podcasters are at it again. Apparently my transit piece has made quite an impression amongst Vancouver's funniest people. This time a guest, Warren Bates mentions my static bench ad that has the tagline: "Anthea: The Only Name to Know in Vancouver Real Estate." Dave recalls my earlier transit ads and they all have a laugh at 'low-grade' celebrity.

Well boys, I can laugh with you. My ads are a little bit tongue and cheek, especially the Anthea in transit ones. The important thing to focus on is the exposure. I mean your podcast is heard by dozens of people across the country. That is priceless publicity.

I would also love to take you up on your reality show idea: "Ms. Poon - Can Sell Anything." We could start with Graham's old VHS tapes and move up from there. What do you think? I would offer to do a guest appearance, but the current Vancouver real estate market keeps me busy, pretty much all week.

Alright, back to work. See you in transit,

Anthea


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing informative blog.If you want more information then visit here:vancouver condos for sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. That'll teach 'em...or just give them more to talk about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. Professional real estate service

    ReplyDelete